Tilt™ Hydrometer and Thermometer
Ships in 2 days or less. Order yours today. Satisfaction guaranteed. Note: If ordering two or more Tilt hydrometers, make sure they are unique in color so that the app can identify each Tilt color.
Video: The Convenience and Ease of Tilt Hydrometer
Video: Unpacking your Tilt hydrometer
Designed for home brewing, the Tilt hydrometer lets you instantly read your brew's specific gravity and temperature on your compatible Apple iPhone/iPad or Android smartphone/tablet or Tilt Pi. Most Bluetooth 4.0+ devices will work with the Tilt. You can then optionally log data to the cloud using our free Google Sheets template or other 3rd party cloud platforms. See our Apps section for more detail.
Our goal is to help home brewers brew better beer. The Tilt hydrometer allows you to check the specific gravity and temperature of your beer while it's fermenting, without ever having to open your fermenter or pour out any of your precious brew. This makes brewing more consistent and easy to track.
Here are some of the new features of the Tilt:
- Range: Better reception and range. With the increased transmission power your Tilt will send data through larger, thicker-walled fermenters.
- Precision: Upgraded sensors. With an improved temperature sensor and accelerometer your Tilt will operate with more precision.
- Efficiency: We've reduced power consumption so more brews, less battery.
- New Look: Newly designed custom circuit board and harness.
If using multiple Tilt hydrometers for different batches of fermenting beer you must use a different color for each batch. The app will not read multiple hydrometers of the same color.
Each Tilt comes calibrated and ready to go with a pre-installed battery that lasts 12-24 months depending on usage. Just download the free app, sanitize your Tilt, drop in your fermenter, and start taking readings with your phone, tablet, or Tilt Pi.
The specific gravity is accurate +/- 0.002 within the Tilt's range of 0.990 to 1.120. The thermometer is accurate +/- 1 degree F (+/- 0.5 degree C).
Baron Brew does not pay customs/excise fees or other taxes for international customers (outside the USA). Here is our official international shipping policy.
Tilt® Pro Wireless Hydrometer and Thermometer
Designed for high performance in craft scale stainless steel fermentation tanks, our new Tilt® Pro brings Tilt technology along with massively boosted wireless range to professional craft brewers. Order yours today. Satisfaction guaranteed.
At 3x the volume and weight of our original Tilt hydrometer, the Tilt Pro's larger size allows us to increase power for longer range in stainless. The included AA lithium batteries still last for 1 to 2 years depending on use, similar to our standard Tilt. The extra size and weight comes with an extra bonus: improved specific gravity stability at high krausen so you will see a steadier read-out on your iPhone, Android, or Raspberry Pi. In addition, we have boosted range with a power amplifier and high-gain antenna that in testing increased range by 2x to 3x vs. our original Tilt. Now you can see your Tilt through thicker heads of foam and heavier stainless steel walls. To top it off we've included the extra decimal of precision available from the sensors and to the read-out so there are now decimal degrees Fahrenheit as well as higher resolution Celsius. Specific gravity now reads out to the 10,000th place (for example 1.0000). You can now see fermentation activity dropping less than a brewer's point per day. In all we've made several adjustments we believe the craft beer professional (and serious home brewer) is sure to appreciate.
Size: 1.7" (43mm) diameter (max) by 5.4" (140mm) tall
Weight: 5.4 ounces (153g)
Specific Gravity Measurement Range: 0.9900 - 1.1200
Specific Gravity resolution: 0.0001
Temperature Measurement Range: 0°F - 140°F (-17.8°C - 60°C) Note: Installed lithium batteries include a built in PTC (heat activated fuse) that will temporarily cut power if batteries exceed 140°F.
Temperature resolution: 0.1°F (0.1°C)
Absolute Maximum Temperature Range: -40°F to 185°F (-40°C to 85°C)
Battery: User-replaceable, 2x 1.5v AA battery (Li/FeS2), widely sold as "Energizer® AA Ultimate Lithium". Note: Other batteries such as alkaline or heavy-duty batteries are too heavy and will cause the Tilt Pro to sink.
Tilt™ Pi v2 Bullseye Sep22 (Raspberry Pi SD Card Image Download)
Tilt Pi v2 "Bullseye" SD card image based on Raspberry Pi OS released Sep 2022. Includes Tilt Pi v.2.8.1 Tilt Pi is a local web server and dashboard that logs your Tilt readings to Google Sheets and a variety of 3rd party cloud logging solutions. It runs on all the popular Raspberry Pi models including 3B, 3B+, 3A, 4, and Zero W out of the box with no additional hardware (both have WiFi and Bluetooth). It also works on Raspberry Pi 2 with WiFi and BLE adapters. The easiest way to get started is to download our free Tilt Pi image, write to an 8GB or more SD card, add WiFi settings using our built-in setup app, and insert into a Raspberry Pi.
The Tilt Pi is primarily designed for local and cloud logging. If you would like to hook your Raspberry Pi to an HDMI monitor we have a separate "HDMI" version designed for this purpose.
Watch our Youtube install instructions here.
- The disk image will automatically startup and log data upon boot, however to customize the system, "pi" is the username and "tilt" is the password.
- Once you start up the Tilt Pi disk image, you can access your Tilt Pi dashboard by going to http://tiltpi.local:1880/ui (iOS/MacOS) or by clicking on the link in the "Setup Complete" email at http://x.x.x.x:1880/ui where x.x.x.x is the IP address of your Raspberry Pi.
- After going to the Tilt Pi dashboard we recommend updating the Tilt Pi software by going to the menu under System->Update App (Flow).
To facilitate WiFi and cloud logging setup, we have included a "SETUP.html" file on the SD card. After making your SD card on a laptop or desktop computer, locate the file "SETUP.html" on the SD card named "boot". This file will guide you through creating the configuration files to copy over your SD card to get your Tilt Pi going. Once configured it will connect to your local WiFi network and you'll receive an email with a link to your cloud data log as well as link to your Tilt Pi dashboard to change settings, calibrate, and view data on your local network. If you have had trouble with reliable logging on one of your tablet or phone devices in the past, this is a great option. We do not sell the Raspberry Pi hardware, however there are many options online to purchase in the region you are in. Costs for a basic set up should be under US $40, depending on version purchased. We plan to make continual improvements on this platform:
Items in bold are new to version 2:
- Reliable cloud and local logging using built-in Bluetooth and WiFi wireless technology. Now includes automatic backup for restoring system after power outage.
- Streamlined WiFi and cloud setup using Mac or PC. Once the SD card is configured on a PC/Mac and inserted into the Raspberry Pi, the system starts logging data immediately upon boot up. Set up logging on 8 Tilt hydrometers prior to starting up the Tilt Pi.
- Familiar dashboard similar to iPhone / Android app and is accessible anywhere on connected local WiFi network via standard web browser.
- Variable cloud logging intervals (Google Sheets or others) as well as local logging intervals with intervals as short as 6 seconds or as long as 1 hour. Log to an unlimited number of cloud logging services at the same time.
- USB drive compatibility to copy log files upon insertion of usb stick.
- SG and temperature calibration: Simplified calibration interface and improve ability to enter and edit individual points.
- Celsius, Fahrenheit, Plato, Brix, and SG options.
- Link to Google Sheet directly from the main display. Just click on the display to go straight to your Google Sheet log.
- Downloaded Tilt Pi SD card image file from Baron Brew (use "Download Now" button above)
- PC, Mac, or Linux computer to configure SD card.
- Micro SD card, 8GB or more.
- SD Card Reader for above computer.
- Chrome or Firefox.
- Etcher for making or ‘burning’ the Tilt Pi SD card image. Get it here.
- Raspberry Pi 4, 3B, 3B+, 3A, 2 (with BLE and WiFi adapters) or Zero W. Purchase here or any other retailer. Required accessories using a high current, up to 2.5 amp 5v USB AC adapter. For the RPi 4 you will need a micro-USB to USB C adapter. Note that lower current adapters may have stability issues.
We've opened the window to fermentation
With the Tilt hydrometer you never have to open your fermenter to measure your specific gravity or temperature again. Spot check your fermentation progress and know exactly what's happening at any moment. Now you can track your beers fermentation, save those profiles to the cloud, and share with your fellow brewers.
Easy to use
Download the free app, sanitize your Tilt Hydrometer and drop it in your fermenting brew. World class customer support means you can connect with a real person to help you every step of the way. Our commitment is to our customers and the brewing community.
Real time data
View the specific gravity and temperature of your fermenting beer on your iOS or Android device. Post that data to the cloud and monitor it from anywhere in the world. The Tilt works in standard carboys, kegs, refrigerators, stainless steel fermenters, under pressure...
Online brewing profile
"The cloud data gives me a deeper understanding for my fermentations. It is especially helpful for meads and lagers where I want to take action at a particular SG point. I am on the road several days a week and I can check in with the ferment and give advice to my brewing partner. On top of it all customer service is outstanding!" - Steve, Tilt customer
Easy to Integrate
We've made the Tilt hydrometer easy to integrate and currently support multiple cloud platforms. In addition to the built-in Google Sheets cloud logging integration, there is also Brewstat.us, Monitor.beer, CraftBeerPi, CraftMetrics, Brewfather.app and BrewersFriend that each provide a unique way to collect and analyze your data remotely. We also show you how to "bring your own cloud" by copying our Google Sheets template integration and running it on your own Gmail account.